Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Birthday to me, and to my Blog!



Today is my 38th birthday. And I am celebrating in a number of ways, one of which is the start of this blog. So excuse the rough design of this page - it is not necessarily "me" yet, but will be eventually. I figured it's more important to actually start something you've always wanted to do and fix the rest as you go, so here I am...Genuinely Speaking.

Last night before bed I noticed a "plz knock" sign on my 12-year-old daughter's bedroom door. Curious, I knocked. Kahley would not let me in. After reassuring me she wasn't lighting candles to hold a seance or sneaking out the window to meet a boy, I let her be. I walked into the kitchen this morning to this.



My heart leapt.

My son Jake, on the flip side, came downstairs and admitted that he had nothing whatsoever to do with the goings on in the kitchen after bed last night. Instead, our Good-Morning discussion evolved like this:

Jake: "Good Morning, Mom. Happy Birthday."
Me: "Thanks hon."
Jake: "What're you going to do for your birthday today?"
Me: "Work."
Jake: "That sucks. But I know one other thing you can do..."
Me: "What's that?"
Jake: wistfully, hopefully, "Make me pancakes."

Ah - the narcissistic life of a 10-year-old boy. Pancakes it was.


Chocolate Chip, of course.

At my age, or maybe even earlier, a lot of people start to dislike birthdays. Dislike being queen for a day? Dislike getting a massage while making said pancakes? Dislike sweet emails and promises of a romantic dinner from the husband? Dislike receiving flowers from a reunited childhood friend, who is seriously like a narcotic of which I can't get enough? Are you kidding me? I'll take a birthday twice a year, which would make me the best damned 76-year-old you've ever seen!

My fabulous new bathing suit with brown polka dots and a flirty ruffle around the top arrived around 10:00. So...I did what any rational, work-from-home sales manager would do on her birthday...I rounded up the kids at 12:15, told them they had 2 minutes to report to the garage in their bathing suits, and we went for a dip in the pool in my new suit.  Of course the boy would not allow me to stop at luxuriously soaking in rays while reading a mere 15 minutes of my book.  No way.  Down the waterslide I went, squealing like a child, exiting arms and legs askew while all the bronzed, perfectly skinny, bikini-clad mommies watched in horror trying to hide their embarrassment for me.  Jake said I looked like a rock skimming water when coming out of the slide.  Hmmm...not sure how I feel about that image.  I was just grateful that my girls stayed in place in that new suit!





I love my job, especially the flexibility it provides for spur-of-the-moment, non-eating lunch hour excursions.  I was back at my desk at 1:30 working the afternoon away.  And that, my friends, is why they call it "eat at your desk."

Fast forward - calls from co-workers and scads of facebook well wishes that I treasured and kept sneaking peeks at until 5:30, when my almost-teenager and I headed off to transform ourselves with a manicure and pedicure.  There is just something about being freshly showered and gussied up with a summery, iridescent orange that screams martinis and oysters on the half-shell.  So that's what we did.  Loaded the kids up with season 1 DVDs of Lost to addict them to yet another TV show while we went.  Out.  Grown-up sexy style.  And I loved every minute of it.

And all the while?  This paradise awaits me tomorrow through Tuesday.  Be still my heart.  



xo
Jen


3 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom and such a great writer! I love your blog and will check it often! Thanks for sharing....btw...I would've been down that waterslide in a heartbeat, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you! You have arrived, my dear....and isn't it liberating? I can't wait to continue on this journey with you, making up for more missed time! Love, love, love you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete