Friday, June 3, 2011

I'm Back, and am on Emotional Overload

Hello, little blog. I'm sorry I abandoned you for five months. Please don't feel too neglected - I rejected many other loves in my life during that time as well. Photography. Friends. Family, at times. Exercise (shocking). Shopping (ok, I don't really love shopping, but I ditched spending in an effort to save money). Why, you ask? I could come back with a million excuses, my day job being at the top of the list. But it all comes down to priorities. And you are back near the top of the list now.

Moving forward, I reunited with my playground in May. I do love winter at the cabin, but nothing captures the magic better than the sunset flirting with the birch trees across Echo Lake in Spring.
Or spying a magnificent bald eagle scouting its next meal on a ride through the channel with my parents.
We enjoyed a beautiful, albeit somewhat chilly, Memorial Day Weekend with my sister-in-law Jen Czupek (same name as me...odd, I know) and her beau, Pat. What a lovely couple.
We hiked. With Miller. He played up the role of sad, pathetic puppy in the hopes of scoring a square of cheese.
No luck with Mama, he tested his persuasion tactics on his new friend Pat. 
Aunt Jen detests animals of any kind. I saw her grimace no less than seven thousand times over the weekend. Indifferent to facial expressions, Miller valiantly attempts to win her affection with an impressive slick of drool. At least a six incher.  
Horrified, she retreats as he takes claim to his self-appointed throne at the back of the boat
Pat endeared himself immediately to my food-focused family with the dinner he provided - salmon caught the prior weekend in Lake Michigan on an excursion with his family and friends. While it's not necessarily the Northwoods variety, it was delicious and fun to cook over the campfire.
Jen followed suit on Saturday night with some delectable gourmet tacos complete with homemade guacamole and salsa. Pat encored Monday with breakfast. Clearly, they can bring their culinary skills back anytime to our cabin!

We ended the weekend with a fabulous bottle of wine and an intense game of euchre with the kids. Sadly, girls lose.

While the weekend was fantastic and exceeded my expectations of relaxation and decompression from an exhausting work schedule, our return home was met with devastation and buckets of tears at the sight of our dead kitty in the basement. I sobbed over the shock of finding her and the extreme sadness my daughter experienced. In dealing with our grief, I of course wondered if owning a pet is really worth it.

Of course it is.  We miss you terribly, Madison.

XOXO,
Jen









No comments:

Post a Comment