Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Twenty

Twenty years ago today, at 3:30 in the afternoon, I walked down a candlelit aisle to marry my best friend in life.
Ten years seems inevitable. 
But twenty?
That's something.

As I reflect on my life, it's hard to remember a time when he wasn't there. There have been more days with him than without him, and I still feel like we're on the side of just getting started. Well into our beginning, mind you, but certainly not past the midway point together.
I am part realist, part dreamer. One certainly has to balance the other, and as I age, I find that I keep dreaming as much as I realistically look toward the future.
But with this man by my side, this perfectly imperfect creature, I can say that I also fondly look back and smile about the memories already made,
while anxiously looking forward to what's yet to come.
Jobs come and go, we accumulate stuff, explore hobbies, and morph as human beings. Along the way, God blessed us with the greatest gift of all: our two punky kids. What was important to us twenty years ago looks a bit different now. Our goals and dreams are still present, but they're laced with a solid dose of reality and anticipation of an empty nest while we prudently attempt to relish the moment we're in.
I've said it before, and I'll say it over and over. The day I don't say it anymore, you can bet your buttons we're through.
I'm still not bored.
Thanks, Babe, for making me laugh every day and for loving me with all you've got. I'm excited to live the next twenty with you.

Love,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment