Friday, February 13, 2015

Apéritif Friday - Stoli Dolis and Girlfriends

For anyone who follows along on Facebook, it's no great secret that I just concluded another installment of Girls' Weekend.
These little forays into oblivion sweeten life a little more each time. My kids are older now, so getting away isn't as much about taking a break from reality as it used to be. I really dig my daily reality these days. Life with Mr. Musky and my two not-so-little rug rats is exciting and entertaining, more often than not.

But I still look forward to girlfriend time with extreme anticipation. Instead of walking away from life for a few days though, now it's more about connecting and restoring. Connecting with friends that I don't get to see very often due to geography. Restoring the part of my soul that will forever be a sixteen-year-old, with a girlfriend spending the night, staying up until two in the morning talking about boys, dreams, friends, school, makeup, hair, music, our mothers and older brothers.

Talking. Talking. Talking. Mr. Musky asked if Hollie exceeded her million word limit when I called him on Friday night.

"Are you kidding me?" I exclaimed. "She blew that before we reached Milwaukee."

And it's true. The girl can talk. We all can. And we did. Over wine. Outside.
And over Stoli Dolis - recipe below.
Over White Cosmos - coming soon.
And over Fireball. Which I recommend not serving to your girls after the aforementioned Apéritifs. You might want to save that for a warmup when playing outdoors before you have cocktails.
My tank is full of love and laughter. Some of it's bittersweet due some exciting news from one of our group - but more to come on that next week.

I can't stress it enough. All you gals out there - grab a pal and go out for coffee. Cocktails. Dinner. Whatever. Just connect and restore. We all need to do more of that, and ditch the Mommy Guilt. Yes, our kids and families need us. But we need each other, too. It makes us better at everything. I can vouch from personal experience.

STOLI DOLI
One fresh pineapple, peeled and quartered lengthwise, then sliced
1.5 Liters Stoli Vodka
Layer the pineapple in a large glass jar. Pour the vodka over the top. Place a cover or lid on the jar, and place on the counter for 12 days. Dispense the vodka over a fine meshed strainer into a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously with ice, then pour into Martini glasses.

If you're feeling dangerous, eat a piece of pineapple, but take one of my friend's warning to heart: "The vodka tastes like pineapple, and the pineapple tastes like vodka."

On that note, enjoy these very responsibly.  

XOXO,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment